segunda-feira, 15 de agosto de 2016

My name is Tair Kaminer and I was recently released from prison



10 August 2016, Alternative Information Center http://www.alternativenews.org (Israel)

Written by Tair Kaminer
 


After spending 155 days in Israeli prison, Tair Kaminer reflects on her decision to refuse serving in the Israeli army. She is the longest serving female conscientious objector in Israeli history.

I sat in jail for 155 days. I sat in jail because I decided I wasn't prepared to serve in the army. I was not prepared to serve in an army that oppresses the Palestinian people, an army that allows our government to preserve the fragile security situation in the western Negev, an army that participates in besieging Gaza, an army that every day defends settlers by violating Palestinian rights.

My choice not to serve was essentially very personal. I don’t know
how long these thoughts simmered before I had the courage to speak. Yes, I would say, I don’t know if I will enlist or not. I heard from a young age that there are those who refuse and I understood that I would have to consider this. So, I said again and again that I was unsure which path to choose. In the meantime, I answered pre-enlistment orders so as not to “shut any doors.” I think I wanted to be convinced. I hoped that as I approached enlistment, I would understand that it is possible to make a disconnect; that perhaps from up close the black flag flying over enlistment would go away; that my gut feeling telling me it is forbidden to take part would disappear and I would see that it is logical and simple to take part in the craziness. I wanted everything to disappear so that I could continue to participate in my society in a quiet manner and enlist with a peaceful mind.

Yet as time passed, the exact opposite happened. When I met and saw the security situation's impact on Sderot [a town inside present-day Israel, less than a mile away from the Gaza Strip] and when I fell in love with the city and its people, my desire to give in to apathy dissipated.

I believe one of the reasons I was unable to say for a long time that I refused to enlist was fear: fear of hearing people’s responses, fear of losing friendships, fear of doing something so different from others. Yet more than anything, it was a fear of speaking, to say things that people do not wish to hear, to break a holy consensus like “everyone's army.”

But, as time passed and friend after friend enlisted, I had already reached the understanding that I would not enlist. I understood this was not enough for me. It couldn't end there. I felt that I needed to do something. The apathy of those around me, the closed ears and eyes, the disconnect that people make between their opinions, values and actions made me feel an obligation to raise the topic. I wanted those around me to ask themselves questions and perhaps feel a bit of discomfort about what they are doing.

I already knew that I wasn't only refusing to enlist: I was also going to try to initiate discussion around the issue. I searched for words. Words are so important when you do something that is not only personal. I didn't choose to refuse because it is what comfortable or right for me. I did it because I believe this is how a person who is unwilling to accept cruelty and inequality amongst people should act, how a person unwilling to accept the oppression of any other person should act.

As I searched for words, I discovered two things that changed me forever. The first is terrible: it is the ugly truth, it is all those things I sort of knew were happening, things I heard about here and there, but did not explore in depth. Shocking things that you can't hear about in the media because it would perhaps break through the silence. Things I had difficulty believing, even from a critical position because this truth is too painful. Things that sometimes cause you to want to go back to unawareness because it was much easier. Yet the moment you become exposed to these things it is much more difficult to stay apathetic.
The second thing is amazing, positive, and optimistic. I discovered people who are not willing to accede to evil and cruelty, are not willing to close their eyes, people who believe in equality amongst people and struggle for it. They struggle for an improvement, for change, real security and peace. How amazing is the feeling of being part of something good. How empowering it is to know you aren't alone in the struggle. How good it is to know that there are lots of people struggling every day for everyone.

I wish to take advantage of this platform to say a huge thank you to all of these people. First of all, thank you for being people of peace, no matter who and where you are, you take great responsibility and struggle to repair the world. And second of all, thank you for supporting me, guiding me and helping me to take this step and be part of this important struggle.
There are no two sides here – at least not from my perspective. There are only human beings that have been killed for too many years and are fighting instead of living. The terror is everyone's and the solution – which will come – will be from everyone. There will be no one-sided solution. There are no winners in wars. We must put an end to this.

Jews and Arabs. Women and men, Mizrachis and Asheknazis, Ethiopians, Russians, immigrants, refugees... it doesn't matter. Nothing matters. We need to unite on one basis. People, humanity is the answer to everything, nothing else – and this of course is not a novel or original idea, but something I believe has been forgotten these days.

We are all first of all human beings, and it is in this understanding that we can find the answer.

This article was originally published in Hagada Hasmalit and translated to English by the Alternative Information Center. 

Nenhum comentário: